I am probably one of the laziest people ever but I have been trying to be really good. I have some goals that I have set for myself that I really want to achieve. Sometimes the things famous fitness trainers say don’t really resonate with me since they’re already so fit, so how would they know the spud struggle right? So here I am, a certified couch potato with some tips that work for me and actually get me to work out.
1) I highly suggest Groupon for trying out all new types of workouts! I feel like I sound like I work for Groupon sometimes (which I don’t!) but honestly, you get such a good price and they have a whole range of things that you can try out. They have zumba, yoga, kickboxing, muay thai, and pole dancing on there! I love trying out new things and it’s such a great way to find new activities to enjoy.
2) I also highly suggest working out with someone that has similar goals as you and someone you know that could push you or motivate you to do better.
I run every once in a while with my friend Krystel and she always pushes me to run and keep my pace. We run on the track and do the bleachers. Even better is that we get to catch up and talk in between our breaks!
My friend Melina and I have been doing yoga, both on and off Groupon. We take classes at this one place that charges $10 for each class and it is a yoga place as well as a cafe, so we get to hang out after and drink a smoothie or coffee. I also found this one place on Groupon that charged us $19 each for 5 classes, when that place usually charges $20 for just one class!
Those 5 classes recently ended, so I found another Groupon for kickboxing and I took my first class there last night with my friends Melina and Thamare! I truly didn’t expect to sweat like crazy. We really enjoyed it and it truly is a full body workout! In fact, we liked it so much that we’re looking for other Groupons for kickboxing.
3) If you don’t know anyone or have anyone to work out with, especially with everyone’s busy schedules, you can always just text each other and make sure the other person worked out that day to hold yourselves accountable. I personally like to post it on Snapchat if I feel like I got a good workout that day to motivate other people because I know seeing my friends working out on their stories motivates me!
4) I suggest getting some fitness apps. I highly recommend MapMyRun, which is one of my favorite apps that I’ve been using for yeaaars (next to Yelp, of course). It tells you what pace you’re currently running at, your average pace, how many miles you ran, where you ran, etc! You can add your friends that also have the app and you can see when they run and how much they ran too! Another app I love is called Instant Abs. They have an easy, medium, and hard set of workout. There is a voice that counts and tells you what workout to do and there is a little video of a person demonstrating how to do the workout. Best of all is these apps are free, unless you get an upgrade, and you can use these workouts everywhere!
5) Fitness watches or even pedometers are great at tracking the level of your activity. I loved when I had a Fitbit watch because it made me want to walk more and be more active. Since my Fitbit watch is broken, I am planning on purchasing a new one soon! I loved that you could see the activities of your friends on Fitbit and just like with Snapchat or MapMyRun, it motivated me to walk more. If you have an iPhone, you can check your Health app to see how many steps you’ve walked and how many flights you’ve climbed too.
6) Try incorporating little workouts into your schedule. For example, try doing a one minute plank every day before you jump in the shower. I swear it helps tighten up your core a lot without taking up too much time in a day. If you can’t do it for a minute, then try a 30 second one, rest, and then another 30 second plank. Another example is to do 10 squats every time you use the bathroom.
7) Set a goal and keep it in mind. Whether you want this for your career or health or just your own personal fitness goals, make sure that you remind yourself what you are doing this for every day. You can even make a poster like I did with some pictures of my goals. Seeing it every day makes me want to achieve them even more.
8) Last but not least, make sure that you are eating enough and not restricting your calories too much. You should be eating enough healthy foods to have the energy to work out and build muscle. You don’t want your body to enter starvation mode, which could hurt your body and fitness goals more in the long run. You should not beat yourself up over eating an unhealthy meal or snack, but you should also make sure that not all your meals are unhealthy and have some nutrition. Everything in moderation is key. Also, make sure you are not hurting yourself with your workouts. If you are in pain, you need to listen to your body and stop.
As I get more into my fitness journey, hopefully I can give more and better tips! Hopefully you enjoyed these and I hope they work for you! What gets you to workout?
Thank you for reading and don’t forget to put your email in to get notifications from my posts!